British Columbia Ministry Supports Grant Application for Mitigation Work Along Shuswap Newsome Creek – Salmon Arm Observer


After two unsuccessful grant applications for mitigation work along Newsome Creek, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District (CSRD) is backed by the province for one-third.

The cove has been a concern for residents of Sorrento who have lived along its shores since 2017, when it changed course during the spring flood and began to undermine people’s properties, putting homes at risk.

At the recent CSRD Shuswap Emergency Program Executive Committee meeting, it was explained that the regional district had received news that two grant applications for mitigation measures had failed. However, the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure is supporting the regional district in a new grant application, which was on the agenda of the CSRD board meeting on December 9.

In his report to the board of directors, Derek Sutherland, CSRD team leader, protection services, explained that the ministry wanted to support work on Newsome Creek, as it is part of the ministry’s plan to improve the crossing the stream on Route 1.

Sutherland has sought board approval to proceed with the new grant application through the Federal Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund, which provides 40% funding to support projects of structural and natural infrastructure. The program allows claims to be filed before the remaining 60 percent is secure. Sutherland said if the request is successful, staff will contact provincial partners for additional financial support.

The total cost of the mitigation project is $ 7,215,000. The recommended works, identified in a 2019 study, involve a combination of mitigation measures needed to stabilize the slope over the entire affected area.

“These mitigation measures ranged from using natural wood found in the stream bed and riprap, to sheet piling to consolidate and stabilize the banks,” Sutherland said in the report.

Sutherland said that, in the opinion of CSRD staff and provincial partners, this latest grant application offers “an excellent opportunity for the province to provide support to the residents of Newsome Creek affected by severe erosion and to users of severe erosion. ‘Sorrento water affected by severe turbidity, “given Newsome The creek deposits debris near the lake’s intake of the Sorrento water system every year.

“The community continues to be concerned; they’re setting up a petition at this point to try and get everyone in the provincial and federal government to understand that this affects over 22 properties, ”said South Shuswap C Zone Manager Paul Demenok. “It affects the whole community. We’ve had seven boil water advisories in the past eight years because of this, so it goes beyond these homes, their businesses and their properties that are all endangered… ”

Council supported the application process.


[email protected]
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

#Salmon arm



Comments are closed.