Senator Romney proposes measures to counter China
Written by Press release
Category: Featured Articles
Amendments to the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act would force the president to develop a grand strategy toward China and deepen Chinese propaganda efforts.
US Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) proposed amendments to the U.S. Innovation and Competition Act, formerly known as Endless Frontier Law, under consideration in the Senate this week.
Romney’s amendments would require the president to develop and submit to Congress a grand strategy on China, promote rare earths independence from China, and call for partnerships with allies to prevent companies Chinese companies to profit from stolen intellectual property. Its amendments also demand reports on Chinese propaganda efforts and order the administration to begin negotiations for a free trade agreement with Taiwan.
“It is becoming more and more urgent that we develop a comprehensive strategy to counter the Chinese threat, which has increased during the COVID pandemic as the Chinese Communist Party exerts its political influence on other countries,” Senator Romney said. “These changes will strengthen the ability of the United States to compete with China. By partnering with our allies to ensure that no goods made from stolen intellectual property enter our economies, we can encourage the CCP to change its predatory behavior. We also need to tackle our reliance on China for rare earth minerals to strengthen our supply chains and support Taiwan’s independence by starting negotiations for a bilateral trade deal.
Amendments drafted by Senator Romney:
- Great American strategy vis-à-vis China. Demands that the president develop and submit to Congress a grand strategy to address the new era of geostrategic and geoeconomic competition with China. Convene an advisory committee of external experts from the private sector, academia and think tanks to review the current strategy, including challenging its assumptions and approach, and make recommendations to the President for the strategy. Co-sponsored by Senator Menendez (D-NJ).
- Report on Chinese propaganda efforts. Requires a full analysis of China’s propaganda efforts around the world and the effectiveness of US efforts to counter it with accurate information.
- Leading the negotiations for a free trade agreement with Taiwan. Instructs the US Trade Representative to begin negotiations with Taiwan to establish a bilateral free trade agreement.
- Joint action against intellectual property theft with allies. Orders the United States Trade Representative to begin negotiations with our allies to stop the importation of goods made with intellectual property stolen from the United States and allied countries.
- Sanctions against Chinese officials who retaliated against COVID-19 whistleblowers. Requires report on Chinese government efforts to censor information about the COVID-19 pandemic and imposes sanctions on Chinese government officials responsible for retaliation against COVID-19 whistleblowers like Li Wenliang. Co-sponsored by Senator Rubio (R-FL).
- Report on domestic processing of rare earth minerals. Requires report on Rare Earth Minerals National Treatment and Authorities and Funding to achieve Supply Chain Independence for the US Military and our allies and partners in China’s growing control over the market.
- Require DHS preclearance at Taiwan airport. Requires U.S. Customs and Border Protection to establish and maintain preclearance operations at Taoyuan International Airport in Taiwan. Co-sponsored by Senator Rubio (R-FL).